Supporting your immune system with herbs is a healthy and effective way to maintain everyday health.
What are the top herbs I can use to support my immune system?
Astragalus – Stimulating to the immune system, it’s anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory. Astragalus provides immune support while assisting the body in adapting to daily stress.
Echinacea – Studies have shown that Echinacea can lower the chances of catching a common cold by 58%, and it also decreases the duration of a cold by almost 1 1/2 days. Echinacea is high in vitamins A, C and E and also contains beneficial minerals like iron, iodine, and silicon.
Rose Hips – The high vitamin C content in Rose Hips makes it a great choice for supporting the immune system. Increasing your vitamin C intake during the cold and flu season, or for overall immune health is a good thing to do. Rose Hips also contain vitamins A, B-Complex, D and E.
Pau D’Arco – Containing vitamins A, B-complex, and C makes Pau D’Arco a great herb for the immune system. Along with zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium and other important minerals, Pau D’Arco also contains selenium, which has the ability to increase immunity. Studies have shown consuming plenty of naturally occurring selenium has positive antiviral effects.
Our Immune Health product includes these herbs and more for maxium immune support.
How can I boost my own body’s natural defense system?
Some helpful tips to support your immune system are:
- Get enough sleep. If you’re getting inadequate or are having poor quality sleep, you become more susceptible to sickness. In fact, studies have shown, if you get less than 6 hours of sleep at night, you are more likely to catch a cold. Getting adequate rest will strengthen your immunity and sleeping more when you’re sick helps your body fight off the illness.
- Eat more whole foods and cut out processed food. Foods high in antioxidants, like fruits and vegetables, will strengthen your immune system. Foods that are highly processed will create inflammation in the body making it more susceptible to disease and sickness.
- Eat more healthy fats. Healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oil and wild caught fish actually help the body decrease inflammation. Chronic inflammation in the body suppresses the immune system, so healthy fats that are anti-inflammatory and high in omega 3 can actually help the body combat illness.
- Limit added sugars. You should limit your sugar to less that 5% of your daily calories. Sugar actually feeds illnesses and increases inflammation.
- Engage in moderate exercise and maintain a healthy weight. Moderate exercise helps your immune cells regenerate regularly. Also, exercising is another way to decrease inflammation.
- Stay hydrated. Keeping hydrated doesn’t necessarily protect you from germs and viruses, but preventing dehydration is important to your overall health. Water is recommended over anything else, because of the absence of sugar and calories. Dehydration can make you more susceptible to illness.
- Manage your stress levels – long term stress creates inflammation and imbalances in immune cells.
Healthy daily regimens are important to maintaining immune health and supporting your immune system with herbs is a simple, safe, and effective way to stay and keep healthy during cold and flu seasons or anytime you feel you need a boost!